![]() |
| One last quiet light before leaving Tivoli for Rome |
On June 2, 2026, I left Tivoli, Italy, by train for Rome, where
I would catch my flight home to the United States the next day. I felt deeply
sad to leave after experiencing such meaningful experiences, new friends, and
discovering parts of Italy I had only read and heard about. Sicily will always
hold a place in my heart, and I cannot wait to return.
Even though the Rome-to-Messina train was not the luxury car
I thought I purchased, and the thermal pools weren’t accessible because they
weren’t actually in the town of Tivoli, my experiences cannot be erased.
As arranged Claudia and her daughter picked me up and took
me to the Tivoli train station. I was heading back to Rome, but, oh, no, Not
Rome Termini, but Rome Tiburtina again. Fortunately, my transfer was within the
same platform area, and I continued toward my final Rome Airbnb.
I have to laugh. I think my entire month involved Italian
holidays and a train strike. Labor Day, May 1, Republic Day June 2, and the
strike May 29. And June 2 is a National Holiday; nothing has to be open.
When I arrived at the station near my Airbnb, nostalgia
swept over me. I had been here before. Remember my first day in Rome without
internet – and Tram 8? As I began the uphill
trek toward the Airbnb, the memories came back. I had walked this same hill
three years earlier and stayed in the same fifth-floor walk-up-no elevator, but
with direct access to FCO without having to travel through Rome Termini.
Understanding that most restaurants and shops were closed. It's a holiday. I was determined, with only vague memories of the area, Mr Bear and I took off
looking for a grocery and, hopefully, a restaurant.
![]() |
| One last taste of Italy at Tutto Qua before heading home. |
Lady Luck was with me. Mr Bear and I discovered Tutto Qua on a side street in Monteverde, where I enjoyed the most delicious Saffron Cavatelli Pasta. What a rewarding gastronomic send-off before our departure.
![]() |
| My finale taste of Italy - Saffron Cavatelli Pasta at Tutto Qua, Monteverde, Rome, Italy. |
My flight from FCO departed at 1:10. Knowing I wanted to arrive at airport four hours prior to flight, and with check out at 10:00am, Mr Bear and I headed for the regional train with direct service to FCO.
![]() |
| Mr Bear looks through photographs of his Italian adventure while waiting in FCO. |
We had plenty of time at the airport. The perfect place to people-watch and reminisce. I honestly believe, and have told many of my friends, that one of the reasons this trip was so much fun and so rewarding, I shared it with Mr Bear. He was my conversation starter. Who is Mr Bear?
![]() |
| Mr Bear takes one last look at Italy as we begin our journey home. |
When my mom was sick, I gave her a teddy bear. After she passed away, I gathered up the bear, brought him home, and named him Mr Bear. He travels everywhere with me, but this was one of the first trips when he truly ventured outside of the hotel.
God
Bless … Onward to our next adventure. Stay tuned for our book –
Mr
Bear’s Italian Adventures, printed in English and Italian.





No comments:
Post a Comment